January 13, 2011

India: Hampi (2)

(there is a day 1 post below this)

So, waking up again with a thumping headache and a gut that felt like a extra-large serving of mushy peas*, I thought about shelving any plans for the day and 'retiring' back to bed.

But with it being my last full day in Hampi, I made myself get up, get showered (which is a real treat here - the first hot water since Mumbai - and only on for 2 hrs each morning), and ventured out. A croissant and a banana both seemed to stay down, and despite having a sore backside from yesterday's cycling, I decided to hire another pushbike to take me round the more well-known of Hampi's temples.

It was a good, slow-paced day. And that's one of the benefits of travelling alone. You're at the mercy of you and you only. You go as fast as you want to go, you stop when you want to stop, and - particularly when you're feeling ropey - you have no need to discuss anything or make chit-chat. The way I'm feeling right now, that's ideal!

So, where was I?

There is a main road that skirts around and through the major sights in Hampi, so I followed that. It was fairly flat so the lack of gears wasn't a problem. Despite having seen a few of the iconic temples online and in books before coming out here, up close they really were amazing. Here's a few snaps:







Most were made in the 16th century and the carvings in stone must have taken years and years. And a whole load of skill. I took my time going through the temples - chatting to a few other awestruck backpackers en route - and enjoying the cycling. It feels about 5 degrees warmer here than on the coast, and the midday sun is a brutal thing, so when you're moving the breeze is lovely.

One feature of the day was the amount of schoolgroups that were also doing the sightseeing thing. In several of the temples, I was accosted by dozens of blue-shirted boys and girls all screeching 'hello!', 'what's your name?!' and wanting to shake hands with The White Man:




I enjoyed playing along with them - and it is refreshing to know that 99% of the kids just want to make friends (there is the odd child beggar of course) - which isn't the case in some other countries, where minds are corrupted very early in life.

I finished off with a slow meander back to the Hampi bazaar, another banana and a quick visit to the internet cafe (to write this). Another successful day then, and here are some more pics:








HILARIOUS 'pushing boulder over' pic



*I could stop going on about my guts/fatigue/head, but as it's something that occupies 98% of my waking thoughts, I want to include it. Even if I do look back at a later date and castigate myself for being such a drama queen...